Sunday, July 24, 2011

Reflections on South Africa

It amazes me how two months can go by so quickly in a blur. Before we went, Jeremy (our team leader) told us that it would be like operating on a low grade fever. Everything is just a little bit slower. I think in the same way, it's hard to really realize and remember everything that's happening. Since being back, of course the first question people ask is, "How was Africa?" And I'll I ever know to say is, "Good!" Haha, how do you sum up an experience like that in a short conversation. I still haven't figured it out. So three weeks later, here's my thoughts...

THINGS I LEARNED FROM SOUTH AFRICANS
- Generosity. I noticed how willing they are to share what they have with others. It is always a community effort with South Africans. If you bring food in a group, you pass it around to everyone in the room. If you have a guest over, you feed them or give them something to drink. They love to share.
- They aren't afraid to be wrong. In our bible studies they would frequently tell each other they were wrong. And they never were embarrassed or ashamed to be corrected.

THINGS I LEARNED ABOUT MYSELF
- City life is hard for me. I didn't realize it until we were out of the city and at Ebenezer Farm for camp. I instantly felt more free and more alive where there was open land and quiet nights and a sky full of stars. Being in the city surrounded by walls was harder on me than I realized at the time.

Maybe I'll have more things to add as time goes on!

I've been busy since being back in the country! I took a few days to recover from jet lag and rest up before starting back in the office. I visited our Summer Leadership Project the following weekend with our CCP team, and I loved seeing all the students there! I'm finally settling back into a routine at the office, but now I'm trying to find a place to live for next month... And we're gearing up on campus for the new semester to be starting. Phew, I'll be ready for a vacation after all this!

I made a sweet friend, Kristin from CO Charlotte, while in SA.
Here we are selling T-Shirts at Camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment